Shinken Kan along with all other United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance dojos consistently practice these rules. The dojo rules provide structure to the dojo. They set a standard that we can all adhere to clearly and simply. Following these rules cultivates a disciplined mind which can benefit us in every part of our life. This approach develops good behavior that we can also exemplify outside the dojo.
- 1Show respect by bowing as you enter or leave the dojo.
- 2Always come to attention when a black belt enters the dojo, even if it is during a class.
- 3Walk alongside the walls when entering or leaving the dojo.
- 4Ask permission to join a class when entering late.
- 5Never interrupt an instructor during class. Questions may be asked by raising your hand and being recognized.
- 6Shoes are not permitted on the training floor.
- 7Prior to class, all loose jewelry should be removed.
- 8Your uniform should always be kept neat and clean. The obi (belt) should be worn at all times and properly tied around the waist.
- 9No loitering or horse play. Students are expected to practice discipline at all times.
- 10Food or drink are not allowed on the dojo floor.
- 11Never abuse weapons or equipment by throwing them down or placing them where they may be damaged.
- 12Students should contribute to keeping the dojo clean and in good repair.